The Lodge of Industry No 48

Meeting Places 1725-1882

The following list is of places where it be certain that the Lodge met.   It is also necessary to point out that in its early days it functioned in a district noted for its Jacobite sympathies , and tradition informs us that during that period in the early and mid-eighteenth century, the members had to resort to meetings in the hillsides and caves which abounded around Derwentside with numerous Outer Guards or Tylers.   This was necessary because meetings had to be free from suspicion and surprise from those who were not favourable to the craft.

  •    1725 Winlaton

  •    1735 Swalwell – Two Fencers

  •    1766 Swalwell – Dorothy Jones’

  •    1772 Swalwell – The Masons’ Arms

  •    1777 Swalwell – Rose and Crown

  •    1802 Swalwell – New Inn

  •    1837 Swalwell – Rose and Crown

  •    1844 Swalwell – New Inn

  •    1845 Gateshead – Half Moon Inn

  •    1854 Gateshead – Queen’s Head Inn

  •    1855 Gateshead – Grey Horse Inn

  •    1869 Gateshead – Masonic Hall, West Street

  •    1877 Gateshead – 34 Denmark Street

  •    1882 Gateshead – Industry Masonic Hall, Jackson Street

  •    1961 Gateshead – Coatsworth Road

  •    1986 Gateshead – Alexandra Road

THE LODGE OF INDUSTRY No 48