The Lodge of Industry No 48

Master’s Chair

 

The chair formerly used by the Master of the Lodge is now on loan in the Provincial Library and Museum at the Esplanade, Sunderland.   It was specially constructed by the Corporation of Newcastle upon Tyne for the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of the Library Building of Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne, Westgate Road, on the 2nd September 1822.   In the papers held by the Society is referred to as a Throne and Bro Whitefield in his history of the Lodge suggests that it was one of a pair which is very unlikely, as three chairs were needed for the ceremony, as the Provincial Grand Masters of Northumberland and Durham were also present on the platform constructed for the ceremony.

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE LODGE OF INDUSTRY No 48